Skip to main content

Early years and primary schools

Early years

Any Early Years setting that your child attends must have arrangements in place to support children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND).  These arrangements should include a clear approach to identifying and responding to SEN.

Each early years childcare provider will have access to an Area Senco.  Where any setting identifies a child as having SEN they must work in partnership with parents to establish the support the child needs. If special provision is made for a child with SEN the parents must be informed

All two year olds who receive Disability Living Allowance are entitled to two year old funding to enable them to attend a pre-school, nursery or childminder.  Childcare settings can get additional money if your child is entitled to Disability Living Allowance called the Disability Access Fund.

Primary schools

North Somerset Council support early years children with SEND into primary school through the 'Inclusion Link Programme'.

Further advice around starting school:

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan then you will apply for a primary school place differently.

SEND Panel

The SEND Panel advises the Local Authority on all statutory decisions set out in the SEN Codes of Practice 2001 and 2014. Download our Special Educational Needs And Disability Panel Guidance Notes for more information.

School's Special Educational Needs information report

Every school has to publish a 'SEND information report'. It would normally be published on their website and linked into the Local Offer. The report should be reviewed annually and produced with parents. This report will tell you about their arrangements for identifying, assessing and making provision for pupils with special educational needs.

My child isn’t getting the right support at school. Who can help?

If you feel your child is not getting the right level of support or that you are not being fully involved and kept up to date with your child’s progress, you should talk about your concerns with your child’s class teacher or the school SENCO. You should then follow the settings complaints procedure.

If you need support to do this, you can seek independent advice and support:

You can also contact the North Somerset Council's Education Inclusion Service on 01934 634 854 or for further advice.


Back to top