The North Somerset Portage service is a home-visiting service for early years children with significant and complex developmental delay. North Somerset Portage is registered with the National Portage Association.
Portage provides support and advice to parents and families to teach their child new skills using a small steps approach. Portage Practitioners work in partnership with parents and carers to empower them to teach their child through play.
Portage visits include:
- weekly home visits by a trained and skilled Practitioner.
- plan, do and review approach for teaching activities designed for each individual child and parent.
- Portage is a positive approach, building on what a child 'can do.'
- Portage practitioners liase with other agencies involved and settings when appropriate.
- Portage Practitioners receive regular clinical supervision.