Skip to main content

My child's special educational needs and/or disability

Areas of special educational needs:

  • Communicating and interacting – where children and young people have speech, language and communication difficulties which make it difficult for them to make sense of language or to understand how to communicate effectively and appropriately with others
  • Cognition and learning – where children and young people learn at a slower pace than others their age, have difficulty in understanding parts of the curriculum, have difficulties with organisation and memory skills, or have a specific difficulty affecting one particular part of their learning performance such as in literacy or numeracy
  • Social, emotional and mental health difficulties – where children and young people have difficulty in managing their relationships with other people, are withdrawn, or if they behave in ways that may hinder their and other children’s learning, or that have an impact on their health and wellbeing
  • Sensory and/or physical needs – children and young people with visual and/or hearing impairments, or a physical need that means they must have additional ongoing support and equipment.

Some children and young people may have SEN that covers more than one of these areas

School's special educational needs information report

Every school has to publish a 'SEND information report'. It would typically take the form of a document that is published on their website and linked to the Local Offer. The report should be reviewed annually and co-produced with parents. This report will inform you about their arrangements for identifying, assessing and making provision for pupils with special educational needs.

My child isn’t getting the right support at school. Who can help?

If you feel your child is not getting the right level of support, you are not being fully involved or kept up to date with your child’s progress, you should firstly approach your child’s class teacher or the school SENCO to discuss any concerns. You should then follow the school's complaints procedure.

If you need support to do this, you may wish to seek independent advice and support. This is available through Supportive Parents or an independent mediation organisation. Alternatively you can contact the North Somerset Council's Education Inclusion Service on 01934 634 854 or for further advice.

Back to top