Special educational needs or disabilities
Any early years setting must have arrangements in place to support children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND). These arrangements should include a clear approach to identifying and responding to SEN, including a graduated approach
All early years settings in North Somerset will have identified an Inclusion Co-ordinator (INCCO), or in the case of maintained schools, a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO).
If a childcare setting thinks that a child has special educational needs or a disability they must work in partnership with parents to establish the support the child needs. If special provision is made for the child the parents must be informed
Area Senco support for early years settings
All early years settings have access to guidance and advice from North Somerset Area SENCOs.
Their role includes:
- providing advice and practical support to early years settings about identifying and assessing special educational needs
- providing day-to-day support for INCCOs in ensuring arrangements are in place to support children with SEN
- developing and sharing good practice
- keeping parents of children with SEN informed of local support services
Financial support in early years settings
Some children will require additional financial support in early year’s settings to ensure that they are able to make progress. Find out more about top up funding.
3 and 4 year olds who are attending an Ofsted registered childcare provider and are registered for Disability Living Allowance will be able to claim the Disability Access Fund for their childcare provider of £615.
Inclusion link programme
The purpose of the programme is to support pre-school children with SEND into school and to give them the best possible start to school life through:
- parents, early years setting and school working together to plan a transfer programme that meets individual children’s needs.
- sharing knowledge and information
- ensuring a smooth and effective transfer to school
Funding for inclusion link programme is allocated on a year by year basis.